Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Day Hayley Did Me a Solid

Does that even make sense? Who cares. I am working on a post about our first anniversary but it is taking forever because thinking about it makes me too emotional for spring break. It feels like yesterday and feels like a million years ago, all at the same time. In the meantime, I have scored some major loot in the process of celiac dominating 40% of the women in my family (sorry girls :/ ). The greatest thing so far is this:


Protein powder! It may not look like much, but it is something I never buy for us but frequently wish I would/could. Bringing this home motivated me to 1) work out really hard this morning and 2) try something new in the Magic Bullet. I have it in my head that I need/want to eat more beets. I think it is mostly because of how pretty they are and how they make the kitchen look like a murder scene. I have tried the Berry UpBeet smoothie from Jamba Juice and it is good but the "beets" come from "red veggie juice." I think Jamba Juice is pretty conscious of the stuff they put in there but that is just a little too vague for me. So I whipped up this post-workout smoothie today:



See what I mean about pretty?! All I did was peel a beet, cut it up into chunks, and put about a third of the chunks into the Magic Bullet cup (I saved the other chunks for future smoothies). I added half of a frozen banana, a handful of frozen berries (strawbs, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries I think), a scoop of the protein powder and then filled it up with milk. Blend and voila! I think next time I'll add more frozen fruit so it will be a little thicker. For a first try it was really delicious! I could smell the beets but not taste them. The vanilla in the protein masked any bitterness. I will definitely make this again! I would like to find a way to include probiotics in this smoothie but prefer the smoothie texture with milk over yogurt. Any suggestions? Do they make probiotic powder? 

Thanks Hayley for making my week! 



6 comments:

  1. You are right my friend... that smoothie looks amazing! Beets. I've never thought to try beets. I really want to try to make smoothies, but I'm still trying to cut dairy for Eli. What can I do instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! That smoothie is fancy! I want to make smoothies too :). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try this for Ryan. And I might even drink it if you truly can't taste the beets. Help a beet novice out though. What kind of beer do you buy - do you have to worry about color, ripeness, squishiness?? I seriously don't even know what a beet in te produce dept looks like.
    And I take a probiotic pill each day since I don't like yogurt. I swear I'm sick way less than before I started taking them - colds go away much faster if I do catch one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a ripe, squishy beer, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Lisa, a beet is about the size of an orange usually and it is a dark purple, almost brown bulb. They are good when they are firm. You have to peel them (that may be obvious once you see them :)). At my grocery store they are in the cold produce aisle by all the greens and carrots. You can also buy them with the greens still on (the beet is the root) but those are more expensive and I don't know what to do with the greens so I don't. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allison - well have you ever had an unripe beer? Trust me - you don't want to!
    Caitlin- thanks - I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete